Custom eCommerce Store vs Shopify Which is Better? There’s no denying that the global pandemic has brought about a significant crisis across many different trades and sectors. However, the eCommerce industry has turned these trying times into a lucrative opportunity. There’s proof that the COVID-19 outbreak has placed it in a position of prominence in retail; many experts predict electronic commercial transactions to produce over four trillion dollars in 2021. Needless to say, the future of online retail looks more than a little bright. It is for this reason that more and more entrepreneurs are joining the fold and investing in eCommerce web design services.
To this end, the two most popular approaches are Shopify and a custom eCommerce store. Those who have had experience with these kinds of endeavors are most likely familiar with the former. Not only is it one of the largest websites for eCommerce templates. But it is an excellent option for people who want to get their respective stores up quickly because it doesn’t require a lot of time and effort in customization. On the other hand, if the online shop needs specific elements or the ability to grow and evolve, then the latter may be more beneficial.
We understand how daunting the choice is. It is probably the reason why you’re here in the first place. So to help you with this dilemma, we’ve laid out some information to help you make better-informed decisions on whether a premade website or bespoke solution will serve your business well.
Shopify – is it the right choice for you?
At its core, Shopify is a platform for eCommerce that helps businesses set up their stores online. It boasts a broad range of different themes and features, making the entire process easier and quicker than it would’ve been otherwise. Apart from the simplicity of modifying the feel and look of the online store, it is also built-in with data reporting features so users can effectively track and monitor their designated metrics. While this may not be something unique to Shopify, the fact that it makes setting up the internet shop fast makes it an appealing option.
Pricing options for Shopify
The platform makes use of a tiered-type of pricing model that includes three different levels. The basic package is twenty-nine dollars per month, the mid-range is seventy-nine dollars per month, and the advanced costs two-hundred ninety-nine dollars per month. It isn’t easy to choose which one is the best option because it will ultimately depend on what your business needs. As such, it is crucial to compare each plans’ benefits with each other so that you can determine the best one for the business. Here are some of the most noteworthy features that the platform offers:
- Fraud analysis. As its name suggests, this feature allows users to identify and determine counterfeit orders and minimize chargebacks because the platform can collect evidence for charges which are disputed.
- Payment provider. The platform’s payments feature allows users to select the desired methods of payment such as MasterCard, Visa, and Apple Pay. Additionally, users can choose alternative means of payment. However, this may result in additional fees for transactions. This is something to consider for those who choose to go with a customized website since reliable gateways for payment are a must for any eCommerce store.
- Applications. These days, it isn’t uncommon for eCommerce websites to incorporate applications into their infrastructure, and Shopify provides users with a plethora of options through their official app store.
Should you choose a custom eCommerce store?
While Shopify undoubtedly offers users convenience and ease, a custom eCommerce store presents users with more options for customization. Due to the staggering number of options with eCommerce web design, the custom approach enables businesses to grow their online retail stores much better than it would have with prefabricated templates and layouts. By opting for a custom eCommerce shop from the outset, you’ll give yourself more opportunities to grow and evolve.
- Better variety of options. Platforms like Shopify are mass-market solutions that are built to appeal to a range of different businesses. Because of this, options for customizability are severely limited, making it more than a little challenging to cater to unique situations in selling. However, this is a non-existent issue with a custom eCommerce store.
- Will grow with the needs of the business. The lack of options with Shopify can make it difficult for a business to grow its online shop with the platform. But since a custom-designed website has no such limitations, choosing it will give users the ability to scale their store based on their eCommerce needs easily.
- Plenty of service providers. While a bespoke approach to eCommerce might sound much more challenging to achieve than opting for a platform like Shopify, there are many experts who can custom-build a website for you to meet your needs. If you don’t have the time nor the expertise to set it up yourself, investing in the services of these specialists can help your business out tremendously.
Pricing for custom solutions
Giving an exact breakdown of cost for custom solutions is hard. After all, the price will depend on the level of customizability that it requires. While it is generally more expensive in the beginning when compared to Shopify, it will be a lot cheaper in the long run since it’ll pay for it once the business starts improving its sales and generates more revenue.
Which one should you choose?
The primary differences between an eCommerce platform like Shopify and a bespoke solution are the level of ease of use, level of customizability, and price. If your online store has more specific needs, offers specialized goods, or is expected to grow, then you will benefit a lot more from a tailor-made eCommerce web design site. However, if you’re looking for convenience in setting up your online business quickly, then platforms like Shopify will best suit your needs. The key to making the right decision is by aligning your business’s needs with each one’s benefits. In doing so, you’ll be able to take full advantage of the chosen approach, whether it is Shopify or a custom website.