Choosing appropriate running shoes for your specific demands is something that requires practice and knowledge. It is especially related to people with flat feet who want to run and walk without feeling pain. While you can find advanced shoes recommendation for peroneal tendonitis on a specific portal dedicated to shoes, flat feet are usually treated as a non-existent problem. Meanwhile, it can cause foot pain, injuries, and even trouble with walking if you wear random shoes. Read this article to find out which running shoes to choose and how to do that.
Table of Contents
What Are Flat Feet?
Flat feet are also widely called collapsed arches. It can be barely noticed or, as in chronic cases, you will constantly feel pain without proper shoes or pads inside. Based on the type of problem, you can choose the shoe model. You have to consult with the doctor in the first place. You will find out the type of disease you have and what you need to do to ease your life.
Types of illness:
- Flexible. Flat feet that are flexible look almost normal. The arches are visible while standing. Yet, when you start moving, they are collapsed. The more you walk and run, the more you feel the extra weight on your calves and feet. You have to find shoes that compensate for the defined arch when you have weight on your body;
- Rigid type. They are not those usual flat feet like a flexible type. However, they are common for millions of people and can be transferred on a genetic level. Some of the cases even require surgery. There is a specific treatment for this type of disease.
Main Causes of Disease
It might be genetic, as we have mentioned above. The disease can stay with you for your whole life. In some cases, you will not even notice it except for minor discomfort during walking. You might be amazed by the fact that children have flat feet, and the arch develops during the growing period. If your feet never developed an arch, you can visit a doctor and consult about your suspicions.
Here are the main causes behind the flat feet problem:
- You have an injury either on your foot or ankle;
- Rheumatoid arthritis is something that causes deformation in mature age;
What to Look For in Your Running Shoes
If you have flat feet, you need to spend some time learning the best propositions on the market. Some running shoes might be simply not suitable for your case. You have to pay attention to the official description from the developer. There must be arch support and mentioning of the flat feet problem. Here are the top features you need to look for in your shoes if you have this problem:
- Support of the arch. Once you learn which type of flat feet you have, you need to look for the proper arch support. Based on your specific situation, you need to make sure that there is padding or elevation close to the toes. These shoes must be approved by orthopedic specialists;
- Durability. No matter what your purpose is, you still need to rely on your shoes. People with flat feet usually wear down any models quicker than those who have a developed arch. You need to search for shoes with several rows of stitching, glue, and made of high-class materials. Even the least affordable, durable shoes will appear cheaper than any poor-quality model since you will not need to search for another pair for several weeks;
- Special metatarsal pads. You need to have them in your shoes if there is no extra elevation made by developers. They increase the durability of your shoes. These pads look like cushions, and they provide the comfort you need during your daily activities;
- Support of the sole. Check out whether the developer offers sole support for the model. The insole must be cushioned but still firm. It has to be flexible but not wobbly. It must move together with your feet and does not limit your moves;
- Support of the arch. If you suffer from daily pains, you have to look for extra support in the middle of your shoe’s sole. It might ease the pressure of your weight from the middle of the foot. You will feel more comfortable while wearing them, and it will help you to avoid numerous traumas of the hips, ankles, and even knees;
- Laces. Shoes that have laces are more suitable for flat feet owners. They provide extra fixation to your feet, which you can customize as much as you want. It is up to you how tight the shoes will be. You can adjust the width based on your current state. The properly spread weight is something you can achieve by fixing your shoe around the foot;
- Opinion of your doctor. Before you buy anything, you have to consult with the orthopedist you trust. The specialist knows the current situation and can help you to choose the best support for the feet. The shoes that were specifically made for flat feet owners must be approved by orthopedists in the first place too;
- Search for the reviews of customers. Don’t trust the ads from shoemakers. If you want to find out whether the model suits you or not, you need to search for reviews of people who already bought them and use them in their daily life. Google the model and see what other people say about it.
Find Your Perfect Running Shoes
Flat feet are not the obstacle on your way to walking or running as much as you want. While it definitely creates discomfort and can cause pain, you can solve the problem with proper shoes. Read these recommendations before you buy anything. You will find out which shoes to purchase to protect your feet and prevent disaster.
Do you have a flat feet problem? Do you offer specific shoes, or do you prefer to buy the models you like? Express your thoughts in the comments below.